About Me

My photo
I'm in my 20's. Sometimes I'm okay with that, sometimes I'm not. I have 2 daughters. I have a wonderful man! I'm from the East Coast. Oklahoma has tornados, NOT beaches!! I write. I read. I work hard. I'm addicted to blogger & facebook. Hmm weird! I hate drama, although I am very dramatic. I love pink, shoes, Celine Dion, and Coach purses. This is new to me, because I have always been a tomboy!

4.17.2007

Olivia's Surgery Update.




Yesterday, Olivia had surgery for her 2nd Cochlear Implant [Bi-lateral]. She went into surgery at 7:30 am and came out at about 11:25. She was in recovery until 12:40. Dr. Baker did an excellent job with her, she was still coming off her anesthetics when I got to see her, and very adamant about going home. We originally were going to stay in OKC overnight, but she kept insisting on going home, so that is what we did. She did well on the way back to Tulsa and laid around the house and got pampered. [Spoon-fed Chicken Noodle Soup, Coloring, Held, TV next to her bed, i.e.:SPOILED]

Later on, Tinka & her girls came and visited her, which she enjoyed immensely.

Today we took Olivia back to OKC for her check up where Dr. Baker removed her bandages and checked the area for problems and/or infections. She was in perfect health and was VERY happy to hear Dr. Baker say she could eat normal now. She was ready for FOOD! She is now resting comfortably, and is still on her Tylenol with Codeine for pain. We can take the bandages off on Friday and we have an appointment to see Dr. Baker next Wednesday at 4:00 PM. After that appointment, if he finds no problems, she is allowed to take a "real" bath [get her hair wet/washed], and resume normal kiddy activities.

Olivia's bi-lateral will be activated in May, on the 16th & 17th. Starting on that date, Olivia will hear out of both sides, and will receive 2 brand new, updated BTE's [Behind-the-Ear's]. You can check out information on BTE's @ an earlier entry, Olivia's 2nd Surgery!

Please keep us in your prayers. Olivia has been very excited that her hair was finally getting "long" like sissy's and mommy's and kind of freaked out today when she saw her head without the bandages and realized that her hair was shaved on the one side. [It was finally long enough to pull back in a pony tail!] Once we are able to wash it, we will be able to tell if we can "comb" it over or if the better deal is to cut the rest of her hair to "fit" the shaved side.

Funny Story #1:
Olivia had to go to the restroom on our way home after surgery yesterday. So we stopped at the Phillips 66 off the Turner Turnpike and I took her into the bathroom. After she was finished, I picked her up to carry her back outside and she saw her reflection in the mirror. She was still coming off her anesthesia and on Tylenol w/ codeine and she started laughing and said "MOMMY I LOOK FUNNY!" Of course, her voice was kind of slurry and her head was lolling around too, and that made it funny that she said that. I was kind of relieved as well because I was worried she would be upset seeing her head in a bandage.

Funny Story #2:
Olivia saw an X-Ray of her head today at Dr. Baker's office. She totally FREAKED OUT! She pointed and yelled "Bones! My head is just BONES!" and she started to cry. I finally got her calmed down and Dr. Baker told her that he was going to take her bandage off to look at the incision and to make sure it was doing well: healing right. Olivia covered her eyes and began bawling, screaming: "I don't want to see it! I don't want to see my bones! Don't take it off! I don't want to see my bones!" Well, Natalie was sitting in the room, too, and heard Olivia yelling about not wanting to take the bandage off because she was scared she was going to see bones, so Natalie started crying and hollering, too. "I don't want to see Sissy's bones! Gross! It's gonna be bloody bones!" Ok, so it was really funny to see the two stop screaming the instant they realized that Olivia's head was indeed intact, and no bones were exposed.

Thank you to everyone for the care and support that we have received through e mail, text, phone calls, and letters. Your concern is greatly appreciated and makes us feel special!

Thank you all!
Joy, Garland, Olivia, & Natalie

1 hollas!:

Stacia said...

Speedy Recovery Wishes!!