About Me

My photo
I'm in my 20's. Sometimes I'm okay with that, sometimes I'm not. I have 2 daughters. I have a wonderful man! I'm from the East Coast. Oklahoma has tornados, NOT beaches!! I write. I read. I work hard. I'm addicted to blogger & facebook. Hmm weird! I hate drama, although I am very dramatic. I love pink, shoes, Celine Dion, and Coach purses. This is new to me, because I have always been a tomboy!

5.21.2007

Outrageous!

This woman is a monster. Plain & Simple: MONSTER!!!
According to the news, this woman, Vicki Leigh Chiles, caused a 2 year old boy to die in her home. Do you know WHAT this woman did? Be prepared, because it's simply horrible.
Vicki Leigh Chiles is [was] a Home Child Care Provider here in mid-town Tulsa. A 2 year old little boy would not be quiet during nap time, so Ms. Chiles proceeded to bind him with duct tape around his tiny hands and his MOUTH. She went to wake the children up or check on them or something like that and had to call authorities because the child was unresponsive. Of course, she removed the tape BEFORE calling the ambulance. The child later died in the hospital.
Sickening. It's outright SICKENING to me that a person who is supposed to take CARE of children can treat them in such a disgusting fashion!!! Being a provider myself, I know how hard it is and taxing it is to take care of small ones, but if you don't have the time or patience for it, don't DO IT! Simple as that.
My heart aches for the boy's family, who live in Sperry, OK. I can just imagine, knowing what I know of Child Cares in general. The mother drops off her precious son, he's probably crying because he doesn't want his mommy to leave. Maybe he's not crying, but maybe he just hugs her extra long this day? Maybe. She kisses him and tells him goodbye, reassures him that she'll be back to pick him up after nap. Ms. Chiles probably told the mother, "He'll be just fine, we'll have lots of fun today!" and the mother leaves and goes to work, only to be contacted by authorities later that day that her son is unresponsive and being taken to the hospital. Even if the scenario at drop-off wasn't exactly like the one written here, it is similar.
How someone who is supposed to be caring for a child can do something so awful is beyond me.
According to Inmate Details, Ms. Chiles has these Offenses against her:
  • INJURY TO MINOR CHILD 5/29/2007 Hold W/O Bond $0.00
  • ABUSE OF A MINOR CHILD 5/29/2007 Surety Bond $50,000.00
  • NO PROOF LIABILITY INSURANCE 5/22/2007 Cash Only $285.00
  • SUSPENDED OR REVOKED DL 5/22/2007 Cash Only $285.00
  • MURDER 1ST DEGREE 5/29/2007 Hold W/O Bond $0.00
Apparently, this woman has had 29 DHS visits since 2002. DHS does 3 visits per year that are a MUST, so this many in 5 years is WAY more than usual. There is also a history of alleged abuse, and history of DHS Investigations on this woman. Tell me, how does a woman with this kind of history, still able to keep and maintain a license to care for children in her home? HOW DOES THIS SLIP THROUGH THE CRACKS??? Do we have to have dead babies, and injured children before we STOP THIS???

Please be careful whom you allow your children to be with. Your child's most important years are the first few and if you don't have a good home/center for your child to flourish and grow in, this is a dis-service to your child! Please make sure you get references, you drop in every once in a while at different times, just to see what goes on when you aren't there. Stand at the door and listen before you knock or walk in. Be so very very observant of the home/center that your child spends the bulk of his/her day in. Check with DHS, check with neighbors, whatever you have to do to make sure that your child is safe...and loved. The child care provider is with your child even more than you are during your work week. Your child should be comfortable and just as happy about being with that person as you should be.
Here are some links/videos related to this story from the first report to the newest report:

0 hollas!: