Arthur M. Spurgin 2/10/34 - 11/13/99
In November of 99, my Grandpere', Arthur M. Spurgin, passed away of Colon Cancer, in Jacksonville Beach, Fla. I was shocked, because I wasn't even aware that he had cancer, and I knew very little about this malignant beast. I remember his deep voice, the booming sound of it that lulled me to sleep on summer nights, and how hearing his voice on the answering machine for so many years after his death was haunting and comforting at the same time. I remember he loved Golf and peanut butter and baloney sandwiches. I was not close to him by any means, but I still do miss the sound of his voice, and I can't bring myself to eat any of his signature sandwiches.
In October of 2002, my beloved Momo, Katie Mae Caldwell, passed away due to Colon Cancer in Rossville, Ga. Momo was my heart. She was the safe haven that I had, she was the very air that I breathed, and when she died, a piece of me was lost, I feared, forever. I could not take her pictures out of their hiding places, because to look at them was sheer torture. Promises I made to her, that I had no business making because I was too young to understand what a promise was, haunted me for the longest time. Only a few months ago, was I able to frame her photos and hang them on the wall. I look at them every time I am in the hallway, and every time I see them I have to smile because even though she's gone in the physical sense, she isn't really gone. Not in my heart.
These 2 very influential people in my life are why I agreed a year ago to volunteer my voice to sing at the Relay 4 Life on June 1st, 2007. The event will be held Friday, June 1st at the Union Track Field 66th & Memorial. The Opening Ceremony & Survivor Lap begin at 7pm. [However, the Survivor festivities (reception dinner) begin at 5:30pm.]
The event is all night long and ends at 7am. The time of the event is significant of a cancer patients life ... going from time of diagnosis (darkness) through treatment and into remission (the light).
Relay For Life® is a fun-filled overnight event designed to bring together those who have been touched by cancer in our community. At the event, we celebrate survivorship and raise money to help the American Cancer Society in its mission to save lives, help those who have been touched by cancer, and empower individuals to fight back. During the event, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds, or parks and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.
But, Relay is much more than a walk around a track. It is a time to remember those lost to cancer and celebrate those who have survived. It is a night for people who have shared the same experience to comfort and console one another. During this event, we honor survivors during the Survivors Lap and we remember those we lost to cancer during the Luminaria Ceremony. We also celebrate life, friendship, and a chance to work together toward a cancer-free future.
Most importantly, Relay gives you the power to help in the fight against cancer. By joining together as volunteers and donors, our efforts help the American Cancer Society strive toward a future where cancer doesn't take the lives of our friends and family.
Please bring your friends & family out to help & show support for Relay 4 Life!

2 hollas!:
Good blog! Good blog!!!!!!!! I would love to come hear you sing! Hopefully Ill be in town!!! :)
There is not enough blogging going on here. Just FYI. ;)Love ya!
Post a Comment