So, I heard on the news the other night that Bell's has been given an eviction notice/non-lease renewal. Or something close to it. A lot of people I know are in an uproar about it. However, I'm not. As historical as Bell's Amusement Park is, it is quite an eyesore. Compared to the new Fair Grounds (which, by the way, Tulsans not only asked for, but demanded.) , Bell's is not up to date and does need a major rennovation in order to meet the standards that Fair Ground officials were pursuaded to meet.
I know I know. I'm not a native Tulsan. Maybe that is why I am not upset about Zingo and other historic rides that made Bell's famous and keeps it on the map not being around anymore. The Zingo really does not look that safe to me. I will not ride it. I'd love too. It just freaks me out. When I went to Bell's the last few times, it was DEAD. It is dingy. It is dirty. It's a sore thumb sitting next to the revamped Fair Grounds and no matter how many people I hear say they are against what officials are doing, I've heard even more complain about Bell's need to clean up their area and bring their rides and looks up to the 21st century (so to speak).
Officials are not asking Bell's to leave...only not renewing the lease unless Bell's fixes itself up to meet the standards of the area surrounding them. Come on, Tulsa... you demanded the remodeling of the fair grounds...is it not just as fair for Bell's to come around and meet the same expectations you expected the fair grounds to meet?
I don't want to see Bell's go either. It's a nice spot for people to have fun in this nothing to do town we call Tulsa. But I do agree that Bell's has to get on board with remodeling what they have to fit in with the standards surrounding it. There are not as many people that go to Bell's as much anymore. And I do not agree that Bell's it what brings attraction to the Fair. At one time, that may have been the truth. But here in this moment, I believe that the Fair is what brings the attraction to Bell's.
If you'd like to post your opinion, you can use my comment box. However long you want it to be is fine with me. This is not meant as a debate, only my personal Opinion about something affecting the community/city I reside in.
Also, here are some links you can use to send in your personal thoughts or opinions regarding Bell's, sans Angela Borrell. Thanks Angela!!! :)
**Family, friends and aquaintances ... if you feel the same way and even if you have a differing opinion to Bells losing its Lease at the fair grounds, PLEASE, let your voice be heard. Here are emails to the various parties and news media to voice your opinion:
Emory Bryan: ebryan@kotv.com
BELLS: bells@tulsacoxmail.com
Rick Bjorklund -President/CEO: rbjorklund@exposquare.com
Francine Grayson - Secretary/Receptionist: francine@exposquare.com
News FOX23: news@fox23.com
News KOTV: news@kotv.com
News KJRH: news@kjrh.com
News on 6: newsdesk@newson6.net
Carole Lambert: clambert@ktul.com
Charles Ely: cely@ktul.com


2 hollas!:
Both of my son's, Austin & Daniel, have worked at Bell's Amusement Park. One worked there for 2 years and they other just turned 16 this summer began working there. It was very convienent as we only live block south of the park (on 22nd St). I've lived in my home for 10 years and it has been wonderful having the park there for my 7 children and now my three grandchildren.
Though noise is not an issue with the lease, I know it has been a huge controversial subject with the neighborhoods. However, I've heard more noise coming from the Chili Bowl and Monster Truck races than I do from the rides at Bell's.
The park is really kind of a historical part of the fair grounds/EXPO with the length of time it has been there. Just this summer we had family come visit from England and they made it a point to go visit Bells. It was on their agenda of things to do in Tulsa. I think the park needs to expand rather than to be completely gone from the fair grounds.
I can say being so close to the fair grounds/EXPO, I will protest and will not participate in any events, including the FAIR, if they should make Bells leave. I know the fair has the midway rides, however, Bells plays a a good portion in a portion of the turnout at the fair. I think if Bells is gone others will not frequent the fair as they have in the past.
In addition, if you should continue with asking Bells to leave, I will personally get the word out to other's of the travesty of the EXPO committee making a decision for this historical park to lose its lease at the fair grounds/EXPO. My voice is just one person, and may not seem to make a difference to you, but networking to others and getting a petition will surely get more than just my voice known.
Please reconsider to extend the lease to Bell's Amusement Park. Robbie, we are behind you and the park.
Angela Borrell
Neighborhood Citizen
Joy ... I have to agree with you. Then again. I'm not a native Tulsan either and wouldn't get on the Zingo if you paid me!
Post a Comment